Lung Yeuk Tau Heritage Trail

Lung Yeuk Tau Heritage Trail

The Lung Yeuk Tau (‘Mountain of the Leaping Dragon’) Heritage Trail takes visitors on a scenic journey into the history of the Tang clan, one of the five largest clans in the New Territories. It is said that a dragon could once be seen leaping in the mountains here, which is how the area got its name.

In 13th-century China, when the Southern Song dynasty (1127–1279) was succumbing to overwhelming Mongol forces, a pursued princess took refuge with the Tang clan, who hailed from China’s Jiangxi province. She ended up marrying one of the Tang men, and their descendants moved to Lung Yeuk Tau sometime towards the end of the Yuan dynasty (1271–1368). These descendants built 11 villages in the area, five of which are walled, which serve as a reminder of the dangers marauding bandits and pirates presented in the area in bygone times. Many of the clan’s relics have been well preserved and can be seen along the trail, including the magnificent Taoist temple complex Fung Ying Seen Koon.

The Tangs in the area still practise traditional village customs, including communal worship in the spring and autumn, and the annual Tin Hau Festival.

1. Starting point — Fung Ying Seen Koon

You can learn more about the magnificent Taoist temple complex of Fung Ying Seen Koon here.

Address: 66 Pak Wo Road, Fanling, New Territories

How to get there

MTR Fanling Station, Exit B. Look for the temple’s distinctive double-tiled orange roof.

2. Shung Him Tong

Hakka Lutherans founded this village in 1901 after escaping persecution. Of particular note is the Tsung Kyam Church (‘Tsung Kyam’ is ‘Shung Him’ in Hakka), which is the only church in the area with services in Hakka.

Address: Shung Him Tong Village, Lung Yeuk Tau, Fanling
Remark: Not open to public

How to get there

MTR Fanling Station, Exit C, follow the signs to Luen Wo Hui. Turn left and go downstairs to the minibus station and take minibus 54K to Lung Yeuk Tau. Alight at Shung Him Tong.

3. Ma Wat Wai

The village of Ma Wat Wai, built sometime between 1736 and 1795, is a clear indication of just how unfriendly some of this area was a few centuries ago. There is a gun platform over the gate. Dating back to 1740, the gate is made of thick-plated wrought iron in two leaves, which allow air to circulate while still providing sufficient support. Access to the village is through a single narrow gate on the northwest side. The entrance gate of Ma Wat Wai is preserved as a Declared Monument.

Remark: Not open to public

How to get there

From Shung Him Tong, head to Ma Wat Wai children’s playground via Shek Lo. It’s about a five-minute walk, and Ma Wat Wai is just beside it.

4. Lo Wai

A highlight of the trail, Lo Wai features thick walls accessible only through the single narrow gateway on the east side. The walls and gatehouse have been restored and are now preserved as Declared Monuments. The gatehouse contains a shrine to the Earth God and has a gun platform above, but the village’s small cannon is no longer there.

Remark: Not open to public

How to get there

Continue along the route in front of Ma Wat Wai until you reach Lo Wai.

5. Tin Hau Temple

Listed as a Declared Monument, the local temple dedicated to Tin Hau is an excellent piece of workmanship, entirely traditional in form and decoration, and was last restored in 1981. A statue of Tin Hau, protector of fishermen and one of Hong Kong’s most popular deities, lives in the main hall, while the image of Kam Fa, Goddess of Childbirth, rests in the side hall. Make sure you don’t miss the magnificent wall orchid that has been growing here for the past 70 years.

How to get there

Continue along the route until you reach Tin Hau Temple.

6. Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall

Originally built in 1525 and rebuilt around 1700, the Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall is the oldest and largest ancestral hall in Hong Kong, now listed as a Declared Monument. The whole building is exquisitely decorated with fine wood carvings, polychrome plaster mouldings, ceramic sculptures and murals containing auspicious Chinese motifs.

Dedicated to the founding members of the Lung Yeuk Tau Tang clan, it houses the only imperial tablet in Hong Kong, which honours the clan’s ancestors, the Song Chinese princess and her Tang husband. The hall is also where the clan regularly holds events, educate their young and resolve their differences.

How to get there

Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall is right beside Tin Hau Temple.

The above highlighted tour is part of the Lung Yeuk Tau Heritage Trail under the Antiquities and Monuments Office. For details of the trail, please click here.

See what's nearby

Select what you would like to see on the map:

  • Attractions
  • Events
  • Shopping
  • Dining
  • Hotels